Thursday, July 01, 2004

Summer Work

After swearing that I would not do any summer work this year and instead spend some time with my own children, I again got pulled into doing several school-related projects.


Today I finished the formal but introductory part of a program with Columbia University's GK-12 program, an NSF project that brings together many of the resources of Columbia University with math/science teachers in NYC public schools. Most importantly, perhaps, is the partnership between a Columbia grad student and teachers. In my particular case, I and a colleague from my school will be sharing a grad student from the computer science field. We are discussing ways of bringing his particular expertise into the classroom, thinking about information theory & technology generally and seeing how we might make connections with genetics/evolution, or even ecology. These are just abstract ideas at the moment, and I will discuss them more as we flesh them out and come up with specific activities or lessons.


Of course there's the more concrete benefit of using computer technology in the classroom for more specific content objectives. Part of our training this week involved the use of Vernier Probeware, which we will be able to use in our classrooms next year. Our graduate student (and a team of undergrads if necessary!) will be available to help set up the equipment and run it in our classes. A classic example of the uses of probeware is measuring the changes in CO2 & O2 levels with a plant in a closed container, comparing these levels in light & darkness, relating to photosynthesis & respiration.


Next week I start work on another project, which I will describe in a separate post, but also related to a GK-12 grant at another university. Then, at the end of the month/beginning of August, I will be involved in a summer institute with the NYC Department of Education - not exactly sure yet what that will entail...

No comments:

Post a Comment