Sunday, February 18, 2007

Two New Labs

I've started a list in the sidebar for labs that I've either created or adapted from other sources. I will slowly add to the list as I format them to a standardized layout, which takes some time. I have a number of labs that I created/adapted over the years on an ad hoc basis, usually in a hurry and devoid of an overall plan. I do think that students benefit, if we are going to do narrowly focused, traditional labs, from a standard design.


I also believe, in defense of traditional labs, that they have a place even in an inquiry classroom when done well - not that I worry anymore about what labels are applied to my teaching style - it is what it is, to borrow a cliche, and I've developed and continue to develop strategies that I feel are most helpful to my students in achieving three goals; 1. Understanding the nature of science, 2. Understanding the importance of biology to their everyday lives and their sense of place in the world, and 3. Passing the regents exam. Depending on the topic and the time of year, one of those goals may take priority over others, although they often overlap.


I'm starting the list with 2 labs that I just created to go along with the Hot Tub Mystery that we are working on. For the record, I consider the case study approach to be a good example of guided inquiry, and these labs are designed specifically to address issues that come up in trying to solve the mystery.


A final note about these labs. They are designed for lower level (8th, 9th, 10th grade) students who would be considered in a college course, "non-science majors." No slight is intended - my school simply attracts students with strong arts & humanities leanings and only a small minority are even considering the sciences as a possible career avenue, although many are clearly up to the task if they change their minds one day. Additionally, although the physical facilities at my school are fabulous, they are new and science materials to actually use in the labs are a bit skimpy. So I look for labs that are simple, require minimal specialized equipment, and can be done in a limited amount of time.


These labs have not been "peer reviewed." If you use them and find mistakes or better ways of doing some aspect of a lab, please let me know.


Cardiac Output Lab



Arteriolar Radius and Blood Pressure Lab


UPDATE 3/3/07

I finished the cardiac output lab with my classes and made a couple of adjustments. There's a certain "duh" factor to the relationship if you can visualize the process or comprehend the mathematical formula, but that's just it with kids, especially in this age group. They still need concrete experiences with these concepts and this activity is as close as I can get to a reasonable model using everyday, inexpensive, and simple materials.


I've incorporated a virtual metronome to keep the tempo and the beat for this activity - you could just have a student in the group keep the tempo with a 4 count, but I think the metronome makes the lab a little more fun and consistent as well. I like this one, GiveMe Tac! because it lets you adjust tempo, beat, sound effect. There are others that you don't have to download, like this one: Metronome Online.


Updated Cardiac Output Lab

No comments:

Post a Comment