Friday, March 25, 2005

Back to Basics?

After going through a series of labs and projects over the last few weeks, I looked at the calendar and the curriculum and started to panic. Actually, the panic began when we spent 2 weeks on a digestive system project and got disappointing results on the regents test items relating to digestion. Now I am looking at a good deal of content that still needs to be covered, wondering how I can fit it all in. I've got most of the human bio topics still to address, plus ecology. I need to revisit evolution and genetics in the ecology unit and genetic engineering in the human bio section. That's about one calendar month for each of those major sections, then a couple weeks for regents review in June. That means any labs or projects we do need to be pretty tightly connected to the curriculum, limited in focus, and held to a pretty tight schedule. Looks like a lot of planning & thinking this weekend about how to do this without lecturing full-time for the next 2 months. At the moment my head is empty of ideas. I do have a bunch of sheep hearts lying around at school that we can dissect, so that's my fall-back lab for next week. Just need to find some interesting angle on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment