Saturday, April 02, 2005

Dissection

Sheep Hearts. Our first real dissection of the year. We have boxes of these things in the supply room, left over from the Insights Human Body Systems kits that are supposed to be used in grade 6. For whatever reason, the sheep hearts lie there unused, many teachers will either do a dissection as a demo, or avoid it alltogether, so we have a surplus.


I didn't take any pictures but there are a few on the internet that I will link here in case you wind up here:


Sheep Heart - Labeled


I used a simple checklist for students to document their work and they had to sketch their observations as well. I got the worksheet off the web, but I've lost the link - I'll search for it later and post as an update.


The kids love this stuff, for the most part, but I wish the dissections could be richer. I would like for them to be able to measure something, make comparisons, but I could neither find nor think of any angle.


Update


I accidentally hit the publish button before I was finished, it being now a Saturday night and I'm composing this post during time-outs in the Final Four games.


I'm thinking of some possible measurements for the frog dissections that we wll do in a couple of weeks. I'll post more as I work out the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment