Monday, December 18, 2006

Good Mood Dashed

A series of cold viruses had left me in a pretty dark mood these last 4 weeks or so, but today I felt well enough to bike in to work (the weather was unseasonably warm), and by the time I got set up for the day at school the endorphins were kicking in and I felt pretty good, excited even, about presenting the blog to my students this morning.


Turns out the DOE found something objectionable on my blogs and blocked them from the school's server - I don't know if it's the link to a NY Times article on !BREAST! cancer, or the article on whale !VOMIT! (ambergris, actually), or the reference to Eli Lily's !DRUG! problems, or Chile's policy on the morning after !PILL! Or maybe they just don't like blogspot because it might have !BLOGS!


Who knows. All I know is they need to get a clue. If the security filters are this lame, or if they are stupid enough to think blogs are bad, they may as well get rid of the whole idea of internet access in the schools as more and more content, commentary, and meaningful interactions are being conducted on blogs.


So there went my great day. I did speak to our tech person about getting the blogs allowed, we'll see what happens. Worst case scenario, I may have to host the blogs on my own website (like this one) for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment