Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Hot Paperback

The Hot Zone


by Richard Preston


Boy, if you aren't squeamish or hypochondriacal and you haven't read it yet, this is must read material. I'm only about half-way through and there are some unsolved mysteries just unfolding now, but it is, as the cover says, a terrifying true story of the world's most fearsome (in terms of kill rate and the violent deaths they produce) pathogens - the filoviruses (named for their thread-like structure as seen left), which include Ebola (90% fatality rate within a couple of weeks after exposure) and Marburg ("only" about a 25% rate - quite lethal already compared with other pathogens).


I'll spare you the gruesome details of how these viruses kill. It is so disturbing that I don't plan to recommend it to my students without some parental notification in the future - I could easily see kids having nightmares or turning into total germophobes. Of course I read the thing sitting on a NY City subway car surrounded by the hacking, wheezing and sneezing masses. It's an interesting context in which to read a book that could easily induce acute anxiety attacks in more than a few people that I know.


It's not all about blood and guts. Preston is a great story teller with a gift for getting inside people's heads. The parallel stories that go from African or Asian rainforests to suburban DC and back again give you a real sense of how small the world has become - and how dangerous that smallness may prove to be. Did I mention that this is a true story?


Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment