Saturday, April 07, 2007

New or Newly (re)Discovered Music

Delgados – Accused of Stealing

These guys have been around for over a decade and I’ve heard of them before, but just now getting around to listening. Some nice stuff.


Arcade Fire – No Cars Go

Bright spot on an otherwise dark, slightly disappointing (how could it not be) second album.


Cloud Cult – Rockwell

When you listen to this song and think of the lead singer-songwriter losing his two-year old son, it’s almost too painful. And it’s not even about that.


Asobi Seksu – Sooner

This group has grown on me a bit. A little too pretty sometimes, just enough bite to save it.


M. Ward – To Go Home

There’s this dude who plays guitar in the 59th street subway station. He seems more to be playing the part of a musician – animated, dramatic strumming, low toned but passionate vocalizations – not sure he’s even singing actual words, but very into it. This song reminds me of him.


Sigmatropic – Haiku Ten

A short little piece (I guess “Haiku” gives that away) with Cat Power on vocals. (“I am raising now a dead butterfly with no make-up”).


Superchunk – Cool

When I heard this last week on a compilation album I thought, “Hey, somebody’s covering that song by…wait a minute, that’s the original.” And so it goes with some old songs I heard back in the early 90s in Chapel Hill that formed a sort of background noise to all the academic stress. My wife was actually in an art class with Laura Ballance (bassist).


Spoon – Decora

From the same compilation (Old Enough 2 Know Better: 15 Years of Merge Records). Spoon covering Yo La Tengo


And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead – Mistakes & Regrets

From 1999. Still catching up. Another selection from the Merge Records compilation mentioned above.


Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds – The Weeping Song.

Thus completes my Chapel Hill nostalgia. Can’t stomach a lot of the Nick Cave material, but for some reason this song always appealed to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment