Saturday, April 07, 2007

Pasta DNA - Revised

I dug up the original source of this lab at the Discovery Channel's DiscoverySchool website:


Building a Model DNA


I've incorporated the basic idea into my own lab and I am planning to substitute paper clips for the pipe cleaners - after several years doing it with pipe cleaners I simply cannot bring myself to cut out all those little pieces again and then hear students complaining about how they don't hold together and so on...I'll update if there's a problem with the paper clips.


I've written about this lab before and other than the new lab sheets and paper clips, nothing new to add.


Pasta DNA Lab



UPDATE

I just completed this lab with my students and I need to make some revisions. I will try to get the lab sheets updated this weekend, but just in case I don't, be flexible when doing this lab. It's "mad tedious" after the first part, and I modified it on the fly. I have too much repetitious drawing and I need to add a text piece about how real DNA replicates, so students have a better basis for comparison. I'll also add more specific materials requirements, such as the number of pieces needed, etc. On the plus side, the paper clips worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment