Friday, July 28, 2006

Along The Hudson.


An algae "pond" formed in a puddle dug by the wheels of a truck that delivers materials to the base of the George Washington Bridge where they are doing who-knows-what in addition to lead paint removal. I would post pictures of the construction site but photography of the bridge is now basically, officially, verboten.Yesterday there were pigeons dunking their heads into the puddle, which would have made an interesting shot if I could have caught them at it. If school were in session I would take a sample to the classroom for a closer look.


I decided to start carrying the camera with me on bike rides and looking for interesting things to shoot. I'll post a photo or two now & then if anything remotely interesting turns up. One of my biggest obstacles in taking decent pictures is overcoming the self-consciousness and the discomfort of imagined or real eyes on me long enough to actually experiment and learn what works and doesn't work. The ears inside my head hear people saying things like, "What the hell's he taking pictures of that for?" "In this light?" "At that angle?" "With that camera?" It's probably my father's voice. Although I don't remember him being particularly mean in that way, he had a certain skepticism toward the value of anything he didn't consider "work." I was rushing a bit today since I didn't get out early enough and had to get back to move the car for those dreaded NYC alternate-side parking regulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment