Sunday, May 13, 2007

Metro Bicycles on 96th Street

I won't be dealing with these guys anymore. I bought my bike there a couple of years ago. I've been in a couple of times for tune ups and adjustments and such. Today I went in with an urgent problem, one that occurred while I was riding, and they were not helpful. I was willing to leave the bike there and pick up Monday or whatever - they wouldn't take the bike, complaining that their basement was literally full of bikes that were sitting around forever waiting for owners to pick them up. Hey, that's not my problem, that's bad management on your part.


I had what I assume was a simple problem to fix - a couple of spokes on the real wheel popped and needed replacing. The wheel was wobbly to the point that I had to disconnect the rear brakes just to push the thing. I was the first customer in the store with a repair request and it was not busy. They would not fix it on the spot and said it would be noon before they could get to it. Again, I was flexible - more than willing to pick it up tomorrow or the next day. I just couldn't wait around till noon - that's 2.5 hours on top of the hour I had already sat around doing nothing waiting for the store to open.


So instead I cut my ride short and headed home, slowly, probably doing permanent damage to the wheel along the way. I guess given their location they'll do just fine without my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment