Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I need to say something!

As guest blogger, I need to say my thing in regards to the LE regents.

After teaching it for the past 6 years, The recent decision to give back waivers to the Regents exam to the consortium schools puts SOF off the Regents requirement list.

Sure I'm relieved. I get to do my own things. That idea I had about using classroom portfolios awhile back, now I can actually research and implement it. That idea I have about expanding biology as a full two year course, now I can plan! And that idea about start a biotechnology course, gee that might actually happen!

I think a lot of the success I had with my students and the regents was the fact that I was teaching test taking strategies when it comes to the regents. It as drill and kill, I was teaching them to pass. I got frustrated when I had to tell those students who flunked my course and goofed around all year that "yes, you pass the regents". My scores range between 65's to mid 90's, of course I was dealing with a much larger group - 100 tenth graders who spend 2 years with me preparing for the test.

Funny thing though... having the regents there was almost a "safe net" for me in regards to seeing how my kids fit in the larger picture. We took the January 2005 Regents, of the 100 students, 3 failed, and 1 didnt show up. It kept me informed (a little bit) about the standards, and what kids should know in their science career by time X. So when they took my safe net away a few days ago, I didn't know if I should celebrate, or think about whether we just hurt our kids... I mean, now that we dont need to face these exams, are we preparing them for the stressors of the SATs and other standardized exams?

I know that test can be revised to be better. I know that test means well - it does pose some challenging and rigorous questions. But my conclusion is that our students should be assessed based on a number of factors, not simply through one exam. I've made the decision to implement more exams (finals, midterms), in addition to the labs reports, projects and student-centered melodrama that constructivism is so famous for. My exams will be designed correctly, to really assess what they know and need, as well as ways to improve on instruction - pretty much how testing should be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment