Saturday, February 16, 2008

Dancing Like Rabbits

I guess you know you are truly* old when you start worrying about how the kids today are dancing. Every generation it seems has its dance moves that the old folks deem way out of line with proper decorum and public decency. I know the whole "Elvis the Pelvis" prudery from the 50's - but honestly, the only way it could get any raunchier than today would be if the kids just strip and have actual sex out on the dance floor. So I REALLY worry about the next generation that has to one-up these guys!


Oh, yeah, I should mention I chaperoned the high school Valentine's Day dance last night. And in case you haven't seen it, just imagine dirty dancing without the dancing. The tension I felt as chaperone was difficult to handle. I basically decided that as long as they weren't groping one another with their hands and as long as everyone involved was a willing participant, I wasn't going to make up a rule on the spot that this kind of dancing would be unacceptable. That didn't make me any less uncomfortable watching it. In the future I suppose we need to get together and decide on some ground (or should I say "grind") rules for what is and is not tolerable among consenting high school students at a school function.


Further Reading


Students 'freak' out over dirty dancing ban


Students protest ban against dirty dancing (Connecticut)


*Hmm, I kept looking at truely and just didn't seem right, even though when I clicked on spell check it didn't show an error. So I looked at a dictionary and sure enough, truly. Now realize Bloglines formatting toolbar, including spell checker isn't working on my computer. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment