Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Masters Project

I'm determined to find a doable project this time, even if it isn't the most exciting. What I have proposed for now is to look at student understanding of DNA structure and replication using either, 1)Hands-on, 3D models or, 2) computer simulations. I haven't got any feedback yet from the instructor or my classmates, but I can't think of any reason it shouldn't be an acceptable study. I still need to do a literature search to see what's already been done and look for some cognitive science rationale for my hypothesis: both methods are important, a combination of the two will be more effective than either one alone.


From there it's a matter of finding the appropriate instructional materials and designing the assessments. I will have to decide whether to use my own home-made materials (Pasta DNA models) or purchase a commercially produced kit, such as this one. I'm leaning toward the commercial kit if only because the pasta lab gets a little tedious and is a bit removed from the standard visual models of what DNA looks like. Then, finding computer simulations that are comparably comprehensive and cover the same concepts will require some digging. All students will get the same introductory lessons from me before manipulating the materials/software. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment