Saturday, July 14, 2007

Flashcards

I've tried in the past to have students make their own flashcards, but it's been a frustrating experience. First, getting all the index cards together is an ordeal in itself. Second, students ability to write a meaningful, relevant definition of a term is rather limited - they tend to look in a dictionary and copy the first definition they come to without regard to the fact that, for example, "bias" has a slightly more nuanced definition in the hard sciences than the social sciences. Third, their handwriting makes it difficult for them to use the cards effectively. They are sloppy, fill up the card by writing too large or make lots of mistakes and splatter the card with wite-out or scribbled out sentences - it's a mess.


So one of my long-term goals is to make a set of flashcards with NY State regents relevant definitions that I can print and copy onto card stock and let students cut out and use for studying terminology. I may even use color-coded papers for the different units. I'm also trying to enlist the help of my fellow biology teachers through the bioforum listserv.


I've posted the spreadsheet containing all the vocabulary terms found in the New York State Core curriculum on google documents (you need a free google account to view it). This allows me to invite others to "collaborate." In this context, that means contributing definitions or proofreading or editing existing definitions or suggesting images to use, etc. - kind of like a wiki. We already do a lot of sharing of work created individually through the listserv, but not much real collaboration. I'm really more concerned with the idea of collaboration in general than the flashcards in particular.


On my own I have defined all the terms in Unit 1: Science and The Living Environment. The definitions are from my own head, the images were downloaded from the Creative Commons website. Once the terms are defined, I copy them to Flashcard Exchange, where I paid a $19.95 one time fee for an account that allows me to print the flashcards to pdf. I also add the images at Flashcard Exchange, since they can't be embedded in the spreadsheet, and even if they were that wouldn't translate to the flashcard template very well.


I am sharing those pdf's here, even though they may change again if anyone goes in and edits my definitions and finds errors, or better descriptions, etc. I probably will not finish another unit this summer unless I get some help - it's a tremendous amout of time to write out definitions alone, and finding and downloading images takes an additional, sizeable chunk of time. I also need to investigate a little more how easily I can copy the pdf's on my school's riso machines, which I will do later in the summer - If that's a hassle, I may look for alternatives.


Here's how it works. For making a single copy from a printer, print the questions file. Then turn you paper over, re-insert into printer and print answer file on the back of the the question sheets. They align absolutely perfectly on my printer - your mileage may vary. If you have trouble, let me know and I will make a copy where the question side has no lines. For making multiple copies on a copier, I always make single sided documents and then copy back-to-back from the copier. Just make sure they align properly before ruining a large batch.


UPDATE (7/20/07)


See sidebar for links to flashcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment