Sunday, August 27, 2006

Labs 2006

Lab List 2006-2007 - Part 1



This is taking a lot longer than I expected - Part 2 will follow...


I've divided them by topic according to my sequence for the year. A hodge-podge of labs from various sources, which I've linked to where possible. I hope to some day standardize the formats and customize them, but good lord that takes time and focus. Some labs are not available electronically. I've offered alternatives that are available or explanations of the labs that you can use as a starting point. I found all these labs by 1) creating my own from scratch or adapting existing labs, 2) browsing other science teachers' sites (click on the links in the sidebar), 3) browsing back issues of sciene teacher journals like American Biology Teacher or NSTA's Science Teacher, 4) googling key terms and seeing what comes up, 5) following leads that come in through various listservs.


Nature Of Science/Evolution


1. Black Box - Mental Models Lab


2. Natural Selection Game


3. Variation in Sunflower Seeds Worksheet. Adapted from Monaco Education Service



Organizations & Patterns


4. Chemical Reactions ( No write-up yet. I used my Experimental Design Worksheet and talked them through it. Students manipulate baking soda amount, measure magnitude of the reaction via balloon diameter. I'll try to write up something more substantial later on).



5. Mello Jello. Jello, detergents, enzymes. Controlled experiment on Enzyme Action. I have students fill out Experimental Design Worksheet in addition to answering the concept questions that come with the activity.



6. Making Cheese (Protein Denaturation) Just add sugar - yummy.


7. Egg 0smosis. Try the Exploratorium version of the "Naked Egg."


8. Diffusion Through a Membrane (Part 1) State Lab - No elecronic version available. Description: Red Onion Cells



9. Comparing Plant & Animal Cells (Mike Comet)



Homeostasis


10. Making Connections (Part 1) New York State - (Alternative)


11. Lung Capacity (Mike Comet)


12. Frog Dissection (Optional) - Here's an HTML version. Mine are not in electronic form.


Reproduction



13. Mealworm Life Cycle (Long Term Study, no write-up yet)



14. Zebra Fish Embryos Study (Still looking into this)



15. Flower Dissection. Mine is not available electronically. Try Access Excellence Version.



That's about half of the labs I have on tap. Next up - Genetics, Modern Evolution, Ecology Labs and a few additions to Homeostasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment