Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Out of Touch

While I'm finally getting over this summer cold that I optimistically hoped would only last a day or two (5 days later...), I can't stop myself from commenting on the Lieberman race in Connecticut. I sat up last night hitting the refresh button every couple of minutes to watch the results come in until about 11:00 when Lieberman "conceded" defeat. When your constituency and your party tell you it's over, it's time to go home. All too tellingly, one of the claims against him in Connecticut is that in his pursuit of national stature, he has largely ignored his constituents back home. So here he is again, ignoring his own people and making good on his threat to run as an independent, despite a clear vote against his continued service as a senator. Quote:

This morning, Mr. Lieberman said on NBC’s “Today” program that no one could persuade him to drop his bid, saying his mind was “made up.”


Apparently "no one" includes the voters of Connecticut. I can only hope that his numbers poll dramatically lower in the coming weeks as the selfishness of this act turns more and more people away from him in disgust.

No comments:

Post a Comment