Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Not So Fast There Pluto!

It looks like Neil deGrasse Tyson and the American Museum of Natural History may yet be vindicated. The New York Times is reporting that a firestorm over the proposed changes last week at the International Astronomical Union's meeting in Prague has led to reconsidering the definition of a "planet." The latest proposal would require that a planet "must also be massive enough to clear other objects out of its orbital zone," which rules out Pluto (and Ceres and Xena & Charon and any other other potential additions from the previous definition). I should probably hold my tongue (er, keyboard) until an official announcement is made, but I've aelready stuck my neck out there and reported on the first news, so it can't hurt to respond now to the current state of affairs, even if they change again - I will follow up on the final announcement, which I believe is scheduled for Thursday. I hope Dr. Tyson gets another crack at Colbert after eating the proverbial humble pie last week:




Hat Tip: Bad Astronomy Blog for the YouTube link.

No comments:

Post a Comment