Friday, August 11, 2006

Sequence 2006

On to more practical affairs. I’ve outlined my basic sequence for the year below. I begin again with an introduction to the nature of science and evolution that will be revisited and reinforced throughout the year. I can see arguments for doing it differently, but I felt frustrated last year by holding the topic of evolution until late in the year as the NY City Scope & Sequence has it. I have a follow up unit later in the year to go into more details after the genetics unit. Depending on how well I handle it, I may be able to fold it in with the genetics unit rather than treating it separately, but I want to block out that time just in case. Likewise, much of the fossil record and maybe even human evolution could be part of the ecology unit if I can figure it all out. It’s not a huge chunk of time anyway.


This year I’ll be relying primarily on the AMSCO review book by Rick Hallman as the “anchor” text. It’s not overwhelming on content, it’s organized around major themes that align reasonably well with the core, and it’s well written as textbooks go. Lastly, some of my students need to carry a textbook back and forth because of their schedules. The Amsco is not so heavy or big that they can’t keep it in their backpacks.


So here goes. Comments or suggestions welcome. None of this is carved in stone.


Introduction


- Nature of Science

- Inquiry-Methods

- Biology – What is Life?


Evolution by Natural Selection


- Origin of Life

- Morphology

- Darwin

- Evolution by Natural Selection


Organizations & Patterns


- Cell Structure

- Chemistry

- Cellular Processes

-----respiration

-----photosynthesis

-----diffusion & osmosis

-----mitosis


Homeostasis


-Organismic:

-----respiration

-----nutrition

-----circulation

- Regulation

- Immune response


- Break -



Reproduction & Development


- Meiosis

- Reproductive Systems

- Fertilization

- Development


Genetics & Biotechnology


- Mendel

- DNA Structure & Replication

- Protein Synthesis

- Mutations

- Genetic Disorders

- Biotechnology



Modern Evolution Theory


- Modern Synthesis

- Molecular Evidence

- Fossil Record

- Human Evolution

(Much of this may be “folded in” at appropriate points in other units.)


The Environment


- Ecosystems

- Human Impact


Review

No comments:

Post a Comment